Your First Visit
What to expect
Before we even look in your child’s mouth, he/she will be allowed to relax in our fun waiting area and meet the doctor and staff. You may prepare your child for the visit by emphasizing the positive reasons for seeing a dentist…and that this dentist’s office is FUN!
A typical first visit includes
- Gentle but thorough examination of all teeth, gums, soft tissues and oral cavity
- Thorough evaluation of the child’s bite: emphasizing the way teeth fit together
- Digital x-rays (as needed) to diagnose cavities, infections, position/ location of un-erupted teeth
- Cleaning and polishing of your child’s teeth, removing any plaque, tartar build-up, and stains
- Demonstration of proper brushing and flossing for your child’s daily use at home
- Fluoride treatments (when appropriate)
- Discussion of proper use of bottles, sippy cups, and suggestions for transitioning to a regular cup
- Discussion of dietary habits in regard to preventing cavities and promoting overall health
- Discussion of any habits (thumb-sucking, nail biting etc.) that may impact your child’s bite
- Finally the dentist will thoroughly discuss all findings with you and address any other concerns you may have
We would like to partner with you and your child in helping to remain cavity free, and to develop and maintain good oral health habits. Our plan is to create a positive attitude towards dental health and a beautiful smile for a lifetime.